Advertisements

Pulled Phauxrk

6 Feb

Move over jackfruit, there’s a new vegan pulled pork in town and it’s pronounced like fork.

This recipe is bean based, like my previous Chickwheat Shreds and like Blackbeet Beef it calls for cooked mushrooms for flavor. You can either roast or pan fry them, either will cook off the extra liquid and make them more flavorful. Use any white beans you can find navy beans, great Northern beans, it shouldn’t impact the end result.

Kneading in the food processor is what gives it the characteristic shredded texture, so be sure not to skip this step or cut it short. If you don’t have a dough hook, you can use your regular blade to knead. If you don’t have an instant pot, this can also be steamed in a conventional steamer for the same amount of time.

I prefer to weigh the ingredients in this recipe, as I think it yields the most consistent results, but I have included volume measurements for most of the ingredients if you don’t have a kitchen scale.

If you make this recipe, please use the tag #phauxrk on Instagram or public Facebook posts! I’d love to see your creations!!

Many thanks to Somer at Vedged Out and Chloe at Vegan or Not for assisting in the recipe testing!

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups/250 g cannellini beans
  • 4 ounces/110g white button mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup/185 ml water/vegetable broth**
  • 2 tablespoons/30 ml vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon/15 g miso
  • 1 tablespoon/15 g sugar
  • 1 tablespoon/15 ml soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon/15 ml rice vinegar or sherry or white wine
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon/10 g salt
  • 2 teaspoons/9 g onion powder
  • 1 teaspoons/3 g garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon/5 ml liquid smoke (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon/2 g white pepper
  • 1 3/4 cup/235 g vital wheat gluten

Directions:

Roast mushrooms for 30 minutes at 350°F in a small greased pan or slice and pan fry until golden brown and most liquid is cooked off. Remove and let cool before blending.

received_10100234029764917.jpeg

• Blend all ingredients up through the pepper in a high speed blender until completely smooth, about 2 minutes. Weigh out vital wheat gluten while cannellini and mushroom mixture is blending.received_10100234029769907.jpeg
    • Combine vital wheat gluten and cannellini mixture in a large bowl or the food processor. Let rest about 15 minutes to allow gluten to absorb the moisture.received_10100234029729987.jpeg
    • Separate dough into 2 to 3 parts. Fit a food processor with a dough hook (see note above), blend each portion until the dough is warm, stretchy, smooth, and ‘shreds’ of gluten are visible. This step is vital to the success of the recipe. This can take up to 8 minutes, depending on your food processor.received_10100234029774897.jpeg
    • Combine kneaded balls of dough onto a large sheet of aluminum foil.received_10100234030094257.jpeg
    • Fold foil into a rectangular package and crimp each edge in. If making as phauxrk tenderloin, shape roast into a cylinder. Cover with another large sheet of aluminum foil and repeat.received_10100234030129187.jpeg
    • Add 2 cups of water to Instant Pot and insert trivet. Place packet on top of trivet. See my above note if you don’t have an instant pot.received_10100218889655817.jpeg
    • Set Instant Pot for manual, high pressure for 120 minutes.received_10100218889670787.jpeg
    • When roast is finished cooking, quick release the pressure, and allow to come to room temperature. Remove foil whenever it is cool enough to touch. Shred apart by gently tearing along the grain.received_10100234030104237.jpegreceived_10100234030109227.jpegreceived_10100234029595257.jpeg
    • For pulled phaurk, sauté the shreds in a little vegetable oil over medium heat for a few minutes, spice to taste, then add barbecue sauce to coat.received_10100234029600247.jpegreceived_10100234029605237.jpeg
    • If you want a phauxrk tenderloin, when the roast has cooled thoroughly, heat a large Dutch oven or similar pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of oil, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, and additional spices to taste and sauté each side of roast until slightly darkened. Preheat oven to 350°F. Add vegetables to pan if desired, and a few teaspoons of oil. Bake for 25 minutes until vegetables are tender. Slice to serve. Suggested to enjoy with gravy and a dark beer.received_10100232878631797.jpeg
    • Roast can be completely shredded instead if desired, and stored in the fridge up to 1 week or shreds can be stored in the freezer for 3 months.

**use less salt if using a vegetable broth or other salted liquid.

Advertisements

29 Responses to “Pulled Phauxrk”

1. SandyinAnaheim February 6, 2018 at 8:51 pm #

This looks REALLY good! However, the measurement of the VWG is listed as 235 g, and on the Chickwheat Shreds recipe, the same amount is listed as 255 g, which one is correct? Thanks.

• avocadosandales February 6, 2018 at 9:02 pm #

Hi Sandy, both are correct! This recipe calls for a bit less to be a little more tender.

2. Pam Coven February 6, 2018 at 11:01 pm #

Thank you, Can’t wait to try it.

Sent from my iPad

3. Manj February 7, 2018 at 1:41 am #

Quite simply, Bless You ~ You are AMAZING Lacey!

Thank you ever so much for your time & sharing your uber creative mind.
      Only just found VWP here in Slovakia- and very excited about trying out your fab recipes.

Big love, and keep shining dear :**

4. Sharon February 7, 2018 at 8:17 am #

This looks so interesting it may be the first recipe I try when my instant pot arrives this week!

Question for you, once you’ve divided your dough into two or three packets what do you do with the packet that doesn’t fit into the instant pot? Do you leave it on the counter while the first one cooks or do you put it in the refrigerator until it’s turn in the instant pot? Thanks!

• avocadosandales February 7, 2018 at 8:25 am #

Hi Sharon, you combine each ball of dough back into one large packet! Sorry if that wasn’t clear. It all should fit well in most electric pressure cookers

5. SandyinAnaheim February 7, 2018 at 9:06 am #

Thanks Lacey, that makes sense! I’m excited to try this one too. Keep up the great work.

6. hamenn February 8, 2018 at 12:14 am #

What do you suggest to use instead oft an instant pot? I do habe a crockpot, a steamer and of course normal pots and an oven 🙂

7. awakeningjourneysCarolyn February 8, 2018 at 3:39 pm #

Hi Lacey,

For this recipe and the chickwheat shreds, i was wondering if the beans/wet ingredients can be blended in the food processor to save dirtying the Vitamix, or does the Vitamix give a smoother blend?

Loving your recipes BTW!

• avocadosandales February 8, 2018 at 3:41 pm #

Absolutely, my food processor doesn’t get quite as smooth, but you can do the whole shebang in one processor if you’d like!

• JoAnn M Lakes April 9, 2018 at 11:47 am #

Thanks! The food processor is enough of a pain to clean without the blender also. 😉

8. April February 10, 2018 at 4:18 pm #

Ok hope that I had it in my ninja long enough, I’m scared i might go unwrap it and blend it longer. I did see tons of little strings of gluten, it was warm, but it looked less smooth than the pictures above. 🤞

9. daveinbeaverton February 19, 2018 at 5:29 pm #

This turned out so good. I experimented with more mushrooms, a full 10-oz bag from Trader Joe’s roasted for 15 minutes at 370F in the air fryer, and the texture and flavor are startlingly good. Thank you so much for this recipe!

10. marzipandamonium February 26, 2018 at 7:25 pm #

This recipe is outstanding. Hands down the best seitan I’ve ever had. Thank you so much for sharing.

11. Morgan Faie March 3, 2018 at 10:37 am #

I use a pressure cooker regularly because one of the advantages is that it reduces the cooking time drastically, usually down to a third of conventional cooking (eg brown rice pressure cooks in 15 mins vs 45 mins conventionally). Your timing confuses me. If there is no difference between steaming for 120 minutes and pressure cooking for 120 minutes you could should be able to reduce the pressure cook time to 40 minutes (120/3). What is the benefit to pressure cooking for three times longer than steaming? Alternatively, why do you not need to steam for three times longer than you pressure cook?

• avocadosandales March 3, 2018 at 10:49 am #

Hi Morgan! I have tested this recipe pretty extensively, and I have seen no difference between pressure cooking /steaming since it’s just a closed heated moist environment, but the roasts will not be cooked all the way to the center with a shorter cook time. The least I have been able to do has been 90 minutes with natural pressure release. Unlike rice that is being directly heated in the pressure cooked water, this is indirectly cooking the roast with pressurized steam, which is why it takes longer. The roasts are rather large so it takes quite a bit of time for the center to be fully cooked with steam.

• Morgan Faie March 4, 2018 at 4:28 am #

Thanks for your reply. The example I gave for rice is just one of many that demonstrates how pressure cooking is far more time friendly than conventional cooking methods (that’s the whole point of it). I could have quoted the difference between steaming pudding in a pressure cooker and that of traditional steaming and the time difference still would have equated to less in the pressure cooker vs conventional steaming. I understand that you say that it needs to be cooked in the *pressure cooker* for about two hours, but the equivalent time in conventional steaming is 3x that amount (the pressure contributes, not just the steam, so the two environments really are not similar)…. so again, I don’t understand why you say you can steam OR pressure cook for the SAME amount of time. Logically this makes no sense to me, forgive me if I am missing something.

• avocadosandales March 4, 2018 at 6:34 am #

You are welcome to attempt cooking it for a third of the time. Most people have found they have to steam it for about 2.5 hours, but again, that doesn’t fit in your table. I don’t believe you are missing something, but I do know it still cooks properly for both of those methods at the same times.

12. Dios March 4, 2018 at 9:19 am #

your methods are FASCINATING…as for the tadte ive not tried any yet though ive picked up a few like canned beets which i never use.
      Ive made my own seitans b4 much difrent from the norm. Im a chef and im able to get ingredients only available for the trade known as wheatex made with gluten and bo-tray spun threads of soyfor meatlike sringy textures.Which ive incorporated into recipes Also the use of tapioca instant pearls they trap fat n moisture making roasts more meat like. Id like very much to use ur metjods as guidelines with my flavorings Some r surprising but combined in small anounts makes a astounding difference theres also masking flavor powders that eliminate the gluten flavor many complain about that i dont detect probably because hiw i flavor things or dont notice Id like some advice on instata pots brand names prices Ive so much pro equipment. Is it like pressure cookers Ive 2 someone mentioned bread machine’s Ive used them for mixing but brown the roasts and cooked them in crocknpots Weighted them down over night then sliced.If using a pressure cooker howd do i do that Im used to cooking in a braising method. The only shredding ive done was when slicing and regeating in grvavy and sausces as they become very tender like briskets. Also i dont know if it was you but i saw Pork Chops that fooled me! Unbreaded and unglazed too I can only imagine the possibilities. Im deffinetly going to make tour beafy black bean beet roast as ive everything you listed and my own proven touches
      Do u just blog or have a book? And yes id lovecto try the chick wheat its the instapot im concerned about lack of n subbing it my my use of the braising crockpot ot slow long dutch oven I have food porsessors and e kichen aids.Jusr worried what instata pot, rhe beand named one and could a pressure cooker be subbed and how thanks 4 ur time n excuse any typos!

13. Cynthia Teruya March 11, 2018 at 11:05 pm #

I am allergic to mushrooms, so what could I use instead?

• avocadosandales March 12, 2018 at 5:46 am #

Hi Cynthia, this is a tough question for me because the mushrooms are so much of the flavor of the recipe. You can definitely substitute something else(more beans or another vegetable), but I’m not sure what else will have the same flavor!

14. Pam March 20, 2018 at 9:26 am #

This looks amazing, and I would love to try it! I don’t have a food processor, though.. I’ve got a kitchen aid stand mixer with a dough hook, do you think that would that work instead?

• avocadosandales March 20, 2018 at 8:27 am #

Yes, it may take quite a bit longer processing time though, and don’t divide the dough in half.

15. Lili March 31, 2018 at 1:49 pm #

Just wondering if the oil is necessary in this recipe?

16. Leah spitzer April 17, 2018 at 5:14 am #

This looks great, I love your chickwheat recipe! Have you ever tried adding ground dried porcini mushrooms to add more mushroom flavor?

17. fourmat June 15, 2018 at 6:29 pm #

Just made this per the recipe above. I’m from North Carolina, and if this was prepared right, the texture rivals that of championship pulled pork. Once finished,the flavor of the wheat gluten was strong (before BBQ sauce). So I shredded it, and smoked it over hickory for an hour. This really helped mask the wheat, and took it to a whole ‘nother level. Liquid smoke just pales in comparison. As a former BBQ freak, this brings me back to my happy place. Thank you Lacy.