If you hadn’t guessed by the name of my blog, I’m a pretty big fan of avocados.
I try to keep 2-3 around at all times, because I never know when an avocado craving is going to hit me. And when it does hit, I like to be prepared. There’s nothing more disappointing than craving a creamy avocado, going to the grocery store and finding nothing but rock hard, days-from-being-ripe avocados.
Prior to going vegan, I LOVED alfredo sauce. It’s something I’ve tried to replicate with vegan ingredients, but so far my success rate is pretty low. Feel free to leave me links below if you have a good alfredo recipe! This recipe mimics the creaminess of alfredo, but with much less saturated fat (if you pay attention to those kinds of things.)
One note: This sauce does not keep well. Serve it immediately, otherwise you’ll end up with a brown, albeit tasty, mess.
(Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows)
- 1 1/2 medium avocados, pitted
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- pasta of choice, cooked according to package directions
- Cook your pasta according to your package directions. I’m using angel hair pasta, which usually only take 4-5 minutes to cook.
- In a food processor, blend garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice until smooth. Add avocado, basil, salt, and a little sprinkle of pepper. Blend again until smooth-a few chunks are okay.
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain and rinse. Top pasta with avocado sauce-garnish with black pepper, avocado slices, lemon zest, or nutritional yeast. Or all of the above.
This made enough for two hungry people and we ate all of it! Next time I think I’d like to try it with roasted garlic instead of fresh. I’ve also added cherry tomatoes for a pop of color-just slice and stir into the sauce.
This only takes a few minutes to whip up, so it’s perfect for lunch or a fast dinner. Let me know if you try any different variations!