Chickwheat Shreds

17 Dec

I live in a large town in Illinois, and we are lucky to have an abundance of local stores that sell chickpeas. Most of the time I wonder why I lived so much of my life without the joys of baked chickpeas and I spend an exorbitant amount of my free time planning what I’m going to do with my next batch of chickpeas, because I buy them in 5 pound bags and always am looking for new recipes.

I enjoy seitan making as much as I enjoy chickpeas. If you’ve followed my Instagram lately, you have seen how much seitan I’ve been experimenting with. This recipe was the result of running out of tofu and not being able to leave the house with two small children. The chickpeas add lysine (and lots of flavor) to the seitan and the method used to knead the seitan gives it a great shredded texture. I add a bit of apple cider vinegar to the recipe to cancel out the strong gluten flavor, but feel free to omit if you don’t have it.

This recipe is pretty dependent on an Instant Pot for similar results. If you have a conventional steamer, you may possibly be able to achieve a similar result if you are able to maintain the steam for 2 hours. If not, try making several smaller packets and steaming for an hour. Edit: since the writing of this recipe, many people have tested different cooking methods and steaming on the stove top or in a stove top pressure cooker works well!

Most food processors come with a dough hook, it’s just a plastic thingamabob that kneads instead of chops. If you don’t have one, or can’t find it, you should be able to get a similar texture with your metal blade. Just be sure to process long enough that it comes together and turns stringy and taffy like. You can also use a Kitchen Aid with a dough hook for 15 minutes or longer.

I prefer to weigh the ingredients in this recipe, as I think it yields the most consistent results, but I have included volume measurements for most of the ingredients if you don’t have a kitchen scale.

If you make this recipe, please use the tag #chickwheat on Instagram or public Facebook posts! I’d love to see your creations!!

• 2 cups/300g cooked chickpeas (cold, don’t use warm)
  • 1 cup/225 ml aquafaba (vegetable broth or water can be substituted)
  • 2 tbsp/30 ml vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp/35g white miso paste*
  • 1.5 tsp/10g salt**
  • 1 tbsp/12g onion powder
  • 2 tsp/6g garlic powder
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 3/4 cup/255g vital wheat gluten

1. Measure all ingredients up to the vinegar.
  2. Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until completely smooth, about 2 minutes. Weigh out vital wheat gluten while chickpea mixture is blending.
  3. Combine vital wheat gluten and chickpea mixture in a large bowl. Let rest about 15 minutes to allow gluten to absorb the moisture.
  4. Separate dough into 2 parts. Fit a food processor with a dough hook (see note above), blend each portion until the dough is warm, stretchy, smooth, and ‘shreds’ of gluten are visible. This can take up to 8 minutes, depending on your food processor. Don’t be alarmed if it initially starts to break apart into crumbles. Keep processing it and it will come together into a large ball. If it’s too crumbly, add a few more tablespoons of liquid and it should come together.
  5. Combine 2 kneaded balls of dough onto a large sheet of aluminum foil.
  6. Fold foil into a rectangular package and seal each end tightly. Cover with another large sheet of aluminum foil and repeat.
  7. Add 2 cups of water to Instant Pot and insert trivet. Place packet on top of trivet. See my above note if you don’t have an instant pot.
  8. Set Instant Pot for manual, high pressure for 120 minutes.
  9. When roast is finished cooking, quick release the pressure, and allow to come to room temperature. Remove foil whenever it is cool enough to touch.
  10. When roast has cooled enough to handle, split roast in half.
  11. Shred gently along the grains that were formed by the food processor, until entire roast is shredded. Refrigerate for best texture.
  12. When ready to cook, sauté in a pan with a light layer of oil. Add at the end of recipes with high moisture content (soups or stews) otherwise use as you would any other meat alternative.

Note: this recipe is meant to be seasoned or sautéed post steaming. You may find the initial product a bit bland and/or gluten flavored. It is a base ‘bland chicken’ recipe. Please consider it like you would bland chicken.

*sub chickpea miso if soy intolerant.

**use less salt if using canned salted chickpeas.

**A special thanks to Chef Skye Michael for the methods and techniques which inspired this recipe.

107 Responses to “Chickwheat Shreds ”

1. Meyke December 17, 2017 at 4:21 pm #

I don’t have a instant pot… Any suggestions?

• avocadosandales December 17, 2017 at 4:23 pm #

See my above comment. It may possibly be made in a steamer, but I haven’t tested it. Otherwise if it’s wrapped in several layers, it could be cooked at 325°F for 2 hours, although I don’t recommend this method.

• AngiePangie December 18, 2017 at 6:21 pm #

I’ve made double batches of the gentle chef’s recipe and steamed them in my wok steamer for 90 minutes with good results. The two loaves described in this recipe would probably be around the same as a double batch that I make.

• Wanda L. Jenkins January 6, 2018 at 9:40 pm #

I’ve done it in the oven, and it works, but wrap the aluminum loosely around the roast, as it will expand, and you don’t want it to explode in the oven! I use several layers of heavy duty Reynolds Wrap Foil.

• Lisa December 31, 2017 at 12:00 pm #

Any pressure cooker will work if you have one, stove top or electric. Instant Pot is just an electric pressure cooker

2. Toni L Kulma December 17, 2017 at 6:28 pm #

Are you using cooked chickpeas or dried uncooked chickpeas? It is unclear from the recipe? You talk about buying the in the 5lb bag so I wanted to confirm before I try the recipe?

• avocadosandales December 17, 2017 at 7:02 pm #

They are cooked chickpeas. Canned would work as well.

• Toni Kulma December 18, 2017 at 12:18 pm #

Thanks. I see you updated the recipe.

3. Tiffany December 17, 2017 at 6:44 pm #

Do you think using a stand mixer with a dough hook or a Blendtec on low would work in place of the food processor? Thanks.

• avocadosandales December 17, 2017 at 7:03 pm #

Yes, a stand mixer should work, just knead the dough until it has strands.

4. Sena December 17, 2017 at 6:49 pm #

I can’t wait to try this recipe! It really looks and sounds amazing! Can you please clarify this instruction in item 2? “Weigh put vital wheat gluten while chickpea mixture is blending.”

• avocadosandales December 17, 2017 at 6:59 pm #

Weigh out, simply a typo! I will edit it now! Thanks for catching it!

• Sena December 17, 2017 at 7:46 pm #

I figured. It’s a lot easier to find someone else’s typo than my own. LOL! I just want to make sure that I follow this recipe correctly. 🙂

5. Beth December 18, 2017 at 6:03 am #

Can we assume that by “food processor with a dough hook” you mean the standard metal blade?

• avocadosandales December 18, 2017 at 7:01 am #

Most food processors come with a plastic blade for kneading dough, but the standard metal blade can be used too.

6. Justin December 18, 2017 at 1:44 pm #

Wow this looks really good. You think it’s possible to use an old school pressure cooker, the kind that that goes on top of a stove burner? I’m afraid that’s all I have right now.

• avocadosandales December 18, 2017 at 2:16 pm #

It’s definitely possible, I’m not sure it would be a great idea to have something at pressure for that long, but I would expect as long as steam isn’t escaping it could work to steam the roast. Otherwise it can be steamed in a conventional steamer or baked at 325°F for 2 hours, although I don’t recommend this last method

7. Carolyn Blakeney December 18, 2017 at 4:24 pm #

Love this idea! I do not have an Instant Pot, but an electric pressure cooker, which is about the same if you are just using the pressure cooker function (I bought mine right before Instant Pots entered the market and took off). The Gentle Chef Stewing Chickun (which is shredded for use in recipes) is my main chickun recipe but I will definitely try this with chickpeas standing in for tofu. It is so exciting to see so many people developing plant meat recipes for the home chef/cook, I can’t even tell you!

8. Krystal December 18, 2017 at 8:07 pm #

Holy Moly this looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it!

9. catherine December 18, 2017 at 9:46 pm #

thanks for posting this recipe, I was really excited to try this recipe because my new found love of aquafaba has cause me to always have an open can of chickpeas in the fridge and I’m always looking for a way to use them up that isn’t hummus.

I just tried this recipe and I think there might be a typo with the salt. The recipe says 1 tbsp but should it be 1 tsp? my meat turned out really salty, but I think with some sauce it will mellow it out.

Just a side note I tried the steamer technique because I don’t have an instant pot. I separated the dough into 5 peices and wrapped it in parchment paper and than wrapped it well in foil. I put the 5 logs in my steamer for around 1 hr 45min and rotated them every 30 min. They turned out all right, I only got the shredded appearance on the outside the inside was still a bit soft. I’m definitely going to try this again next time I have extra chickpeas and try steaming it for longer.

• avocadosandales December 18, 2017 at 3:51 pm #

I just checked my notes and it should indeed be only 1.5 tsp of salt, not 1 tbsp. Not sure how I missed that when I typed this up, but I will edit the recipe to reflect that! It sounds like if it was doughy in the center it needed more time steaming, but the seitan will firm up more after it is refrigerated!

• avocadosandales December 18, 2017 at 3:53 pm #

Also, canned chickpeas may add additional salt, so if using them in the future I would reduce the salt amount!

10. Julie December 22, 2017 at 9:36 pm #

So, just getting this straight. If I’m using my bamboo steamer basket, I just steam it, wrapped in foil, for 90 minutes?

11. GreensPlease December 30, 2017 at 11:59 am #

Hi, I’d like to know if wrapping in non-toxic parchment paper might work. I’m leery of cooking directly on aluminum. If not, maybe parchment layered between? Or any other suggestions? Thanks!

• avocadosandales December 30, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

Yes, I would either layer in parchment paper with a layer of aluminum foil outside to hold the shape, or wrap in several layers of cheesecloth.

12. GreensPlease December 30, 2017 at 12:59 pm #

13. Angela Fitton December 30, 2017 at 5:32 pm #

Hey! Im new to IP cooking and want to make this. Is 2 hrs on high correct? TIA

• avocadosandales December 30, 2017 at 5:35 pm #

• Angela FITTON December 31, 2017 at 3:59 pm #

Thank you! And happy new year!

• Heidi February 16, 2018 at 1:11 pm #

Using an ip one would assume less time. The most I’ve seen on other recipes is 16 minutes. Is this for a particular texture.

• avocadosandales February 16, 2018 at 1:15 pm #

Most instant pot recipes are cooking the seitan in liquid, this is indirect steaming of a large roast and less time can result in undercooked seitan dough in the middle of the roast.

14. Katherine January 5, 2018 at 12:42 pm #

How long will the shreds last in the fridge? Can you freeze the shreds?

• avocadosandales January 5, 2018 at 12:48 pm #

Up to 1 week in the fridge, and up to 3 months in the freezer. They freeze great!

• Katherine January 5, 2018 at 1:50 pm #

Great it’s in the pressure cooker now!

15. Val January 8, 2018 at 1:40 am #

What an awesome recipe and technique! I’m going to try making this tomorrow, I have high hopes! Thanks so much for sharing! Happy New Year!

16. marzipandamonium January 9, 2018 at 6:57 pm #

Thank you for this recipe. Do you think it matters which brand of Vital Wheat Gluten I use? I measured out all the ingredients with a digital scale (except for the liquids for which I used liquid measuring cups) and the dough seems quite stiff and dry compared to other homemade seitan recipes I’ve made. My VWG was from the bulk bin but I’ve used the same stuff before with success. I just wanted to check if this dough is supposed to be very stiff before going into the IP. Thanks!

• avocadosandales January 9, 2018 at 7:07 pm #

It should not be overly stiff unless a liquid ingredient was omitted! I usually use Bob’s Red Mill, but I also have used bulk bin vital wheat gluten and it should work. Try adding a few more tablespoons of liquid before processing. It will warm and soften a bit in the processor

17. marzipandamonium January 9, 2018 at 7:07 pm #

Hi again. I just noticed that your black beet roast recipe calls for 235 grams of VWG. Is the 255 grams noted in this recipe a typo or did you cut back on the amount for the other recipe? Thanks again.

• avocadosandales January 9, 2018 at 7:08 pm #

Not a typo, I call for less in the other recipe (cup measurements differ as well.)

• marzipandamonium January 9, 2018 at 7:20 pm #

Thanks for the super quick responses, and my apologies for not seeing the difference between the two recipes! I added a couple more tablespoons of chickpea brine and it seems to have helped. Will report back with my results on the finished product.

• avocadosandales January 9, 2018 at 7:24 pm #

The main key is to process it long enough! I’ve tweaked the recipe several times and even with different measurements as long as it’s processed well it will get that shredded texture.

18. oliayo January 10, 2018 at 12:40 am #

Would this be possible to knead with hands? I don’t have a food processor or stand mixer right now.

• avocadosandales January 10, 2018 at 5:35 am #

Some people have been able to achieve similar textures kneading by hand. If you join the Seitan Appreciation Society on Facebook and search for ‘spoon method’ it could be helpful. However, I wouldn’t recommend trying by hand, as it would take an extremely long time.

19. Paul Moulton January 10, 2018 at 4:45 pm #

Is it possible to shred fairly large chunks and bread and deep fry for a fried chicken.

• avocadosandales January 10, 2018 at 4:46 pm #

Absolutely! Just don’t shred all the way to small shreds.

20. Gayle January 11, 2018 at 4:54 pm #

Is it possible to over-process the dough? Mine turned out chewing gum texture after processing with dough blade for 8 minutes each half. I even rewrapped it and cooked for a 3rd hour in the IP but no improvement. I didn’t get shreds–just globs when I pulled it apart,

• avocadosandales January 11, 2018 at 6:17 pm #

Hi Gayle, this is not something I’ve experienced in all of the tests I’ve done with this recipe. If you’d like to email me for more troubleshooting, I’d be more than happy to help. My email address can be found under the contact me tab.

• Marsha February 8, 2018 at 1:46 pm #

I think I had the same problem as Gayle did. After kneading each half for 8 minutes with the plastic dough blade, I had 2 lovely soft balls of dough but no shreds. I combined them and cooked them for 2 hours in a conventional pressure cooker and the result was a loaf of delicious seitan – but no shreds. At what point in your kneading do you see the shreds appear? My food processor seemed to rock around a lot toward the end of the 8 minutes. Maybe I missed the shredded stage?

• avocadosandales February 8, 2018 at 2:01 pm #

Hi Marsha, after cooking and cooling are you splitting the loaf apart and shredding the loaf along the grain, and you are not seeing any grains of gluten? It shreds best while warm, and my food processor also rocks around a lot towards the end of processing. The dough should be warm and smooth and taffy like after processing.

• Marsha February 8, 2018 at 2:17 pm #

I actually didn’t let it cool too long; maybe that was the problem. I split it while it was still quite hot. I’ll try again and let you know if I have a better result. Thanks!

• avocadosandales February 8, 2018 at 2:20 pm #

That shouldn’t make a difference, it only affects shredding once the gluten chills. If it didn’t have shreds when it was warm, it must not have processed long enough.

21. meshell January 13, 2018 at 9:00 pm #

I’m looking forward to making this! This is the week it’s going to happen! It looks awesome.

22. Estelle January 15, 2018 at 1:23 pm #

Oh this looks like such a great recipe!

I have two questions:

Can veggie stock really be used instead of aquafaba with similar results? Or does the AF bring something extra to the recipe? 1 cup is a large amount and I would prefer to use my limited supply in baking but would absolutely use it here if it makes the recipe better.

Can I do 2 packets of dough instead of one and just steam it for 60 minutes in my IP?

• avocadosandales January 15, 2018 at 1:25 pm #

Veggie stock will work just as well, save that aquafaba for your baking! I simply use it because otherwise it goes to waste. 2 packets for 60 minutes will absolutely work!

23. juniperberry71 January 16, 2018 at 7:03 am #

Hi, can I use red miso instead of white? It’s all I’ve got access to 😦

• avocadosandales January 16, 2018 at 7:16 am #

Red miso will probably give it a slightly red color! But if you don’t mind the flavor would still be good.

• juniperberry71 January 16, 2018 at 7:20 am #

That’s awesome news, thank you. The colour doesn’t bother me at all. Will be making this for Thursday night dinner 🙂

24. Sena January 21, 2018 at 9:44 am #

I am now making this recipe for the second time. It is so easy! The first time, I used vegetable broth and cooked the beans in the Instant Pot first. It came out delicious, and I was amazed at the texture. I have made so many seitans, but I could never quite get that shredded texture. This recipe also makes a great sized batch, so it lasted my husband and I all week. We had fajitas, burritos, and a pasta saute (rigatoni, peas, chickwheat, and seasoning) so far. We have also been sneaking some plain right out of the container. This recipe made getting that texture easy and perfect. I look forward to seeing how this second batch comes out.

• Sena January 26, 2018 at 7:07 pm #

The second batch, with the aquafaba and canned chickpeas, was even better than the first one we made with broth. It is amazing! We actually had some leftover faux chicken from No Evil Foods, and that went bad because we forgot about it after enjoying this homemade chick’n. Making it homemade is so much more affordable. This second batch was made with red miso, BTW, for the person who asked if it would work. 🙂

25. Lillian January 26, 2018 at 2:03 am #

OMG. I am so trying this! The shredded texture looks so good. Thanks for the recipe!

26. Michelle January 28, 2018 at 12:57 pm #

I have a vitamix, but no food processor. Can the kneading happen on a low setting in the vitamix?

• avocadosandales January 28, 2018 at 1:24 pm #

I have a vitamix as well and I would not attempt this recipe in it, I think the dough would clump up around the bottom blade and not knead at all.

• Harleen January 28, 2018 at 2:06 pm #

I had the same question regarding the Vitamix. I don’t have a stand mixer or food processor either. Would a regular old hand mixer work? Thanks in advance.

• avocadosandales January 28, 2018 at 2:13 pm #

I don’t believe so, I haven’t experimented with a hand mixer, but it really needs to be in something that can knead it fast enough to warm up the gluten dough.

27. Monique Janssen January 31, 2018 at 4:18 am #

Did the try out this morning ! Great recipe ! Thanks for sharing ❤

28. Rachel January 31, 2018 at 9:48 pm #

Can this be made without the oil??

29. Andrea Dixon February 1, 2018 at 2:02 pm #

Hi Lacey, I’m hoping to make this this weekend, but have no access to miso paste. Should I sub with tahini or more aquafaba or vegetable broth? I hope I can get it processed well with a stand mixer, I’m so excited!

• avocadosandales February 1, 2018 at 2:06 pm #

I would make a paste out of tahini, nutritional yeast and a little extra salt. Try doing it over 15 minutes in the stand mixer, I’ve heard good results from that!

• Andrea Dixon February 2, 2018 at 12:56 pm #

Thanks so much! If I don’t fail, I’ll share and tag on IG. I’ve only tried once with seitan so far.

30. SandyinAnaheim February 4, 2018 at 11:54 am #

Hi Lacey, I SO wish I would have found your blog before attempting Shredded Chickun!! I was inspired to try the recipe because of your video on the GC FB page. Mine exploded in the oven with 30 minutes left and blew open the oven door. What was salvageable was VERY bready and inedible. After two hours of cleaning the baked-on mess, I swore I wouldn’t try it again, but now you’ve inspired me to not only try it again, but to breakdown and get an Instapot….as if I need another kitchen gadget! 😀 I wanted to thank you for your explicit instructions, and also for the weight measurements – I think that makes all the difference in the world. So thank you!

31. Helen February 9, 2018 at 4:28 pm #

Hi Lacey
    Tried the chickwheat for the first time today – also my first seitan attempt! The seasoning is amazing – so good. But my finished ‘loaf’ came out really tough and chewy. I semi-ruined a ‘stew’ by adding this at the last minute – I presumed I wasn’t supposed to cook the seitan in liquid for long (i thought it might go doughy), but I’m not sure if this would have helped or not as I’m not sure what the texture should be like! Can you help me troubleshoot please?

• avocadosandales February 9, 2018 at 5:21 pm #

Hi Helen,
      It does tend to go doughy after sitting in liquid for too long, which is why I recommend adding it to stews and soups at the last minute. Seitan does tend to be dense and chewy though, although it shouldn’t be too tough. If you waited to shred it until it was cooled, it does get more tough after sitting, which is why I recommend shredding it while warm. However, it sounds like you’re just not used to the texture of seitan! This recipe tends to be a little softer than most seitan recipes.

• Helen February 10, 2018 at 8:54 am #

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly Lacey. I suspect it may just be that, yes. I will have another go when I have more time and maybe add a bit more liquid to the dough too as looking back I might not have got that right (had to scale down the recipe to the volume of chickpeas I had to hand!) but it probably is just a case of unfamiliarity. Can not believe how much this tasted and looked like meat though!

32. Tim February 13, 2018 at 6:07 am #

What if you are doing no-oil vegan? Can you eliminate the oil in the recipe?

33. Nita February 13, 2018 at 8:15 am #

I would love to try this recipe, but because I can’t print it, I can’. I don’t understand how people can memorize the ingredients and instructions, I can’t. When I try and print it The printer wants to print 14 pages! Ridiculous.

• avocadosandales February 13, 2018 at 8:24 am #

I think some people just open the recipe on a mobile device or desktop in the kitchen. I would suggest copy and pasting the recipe and deleting the photos for printing.

34. April February 13, 2018 at 11:07 pm #

This is amazing!! I made it this afternoon and im so excited about the neww possibilities. Aside from stir frys and soups/stews, what are some other ways I can incorporate this in my diet? I’m so excited that I can’t think straight, lol.

• avocadosandales February 14, 2018 at 5:18 am #

You can use it in chickwheat salad, on sandwiches, in pot pies, really anywhere you would have previously used chicken. The sky is the limit!

35. April February 13, 2018 at 11:13 pm #

One more question! My Mom is on the Keto, low-carb diet and would like to try this recipe. Just wondering if you happen to have the carb breakdown? If not, I’m sure I can figure it out!

• avocadosandales February 14, 2018 at 5:19 am #

It contains about 16g of carbs per 3 ounce serving, so I wouldn’t recommend it for a low carb diet.

36. Lisa Kral February 18, 2018 at 12:19 pm #

So finaaly trying this Because my cans of chickpeas gave me 3 cups, I made 1 1/2 times the recipe.which refused to fit in the instant pot. Am now steaming it on top of the stove. Do you think 3 hours should do? Thanks so much!

• avocadosandales February 18, 2018 at 4:41 pm #

3 hours should be plenty! You can always steam one loaf and save the other half for steaming afterwards.

37. Arlinn February 19, 2018 at 11:45 am #

I’m freaking out! This technique is so cool! I’ve made a variety of seitan recipes, and I enjoy it for what it is, but this is hands down the most meat-like one I’ve seen and tasted. It even has that sort of proteiny graininess to it that meat does. I’m already eyeing our deep fryer and thinking of nuggets for next time, haha. Thanks for your super clear instructions and photos.

38. Nicolyn February 19, 2018 at 5:50 pm #

I made this this weekend and my husband was totally into it, thank you for a great recipe.
    I would like to make gyro “meat” with this recipe, do you think it would slice thinly the way gyro are? Would an electric carving knife be the way to go or a mandolin, or just stock with shreds.
    Thanks for any input you may have.

• avocadosandales February 19, 2018 at 6:06 pm #

It slices well! I think most people stick with a sharp knife, so an electric carving knife should work well

39. Suze February 20, 2018 at 8:20 am #

This recipe looks amazing and I so need to make it! If using a stovetop pressure cooker, would steaming time remain the same as for the Instant Pot or do I need to adjust it? Thanks so much!

40. Lori February 22, 2018 at 9:54 am #

I halved the recipe and just put it into my IP-Mini. I wonder if cook time should be reduced…?

• avocadosandales February 22, 2018 at 9:58 am #

Yes, absolutely, cut the cook time down to 70 minutes

41. Jane February 24, 2018 at 2:30 am #

Instant pot is always a good choice to make delicious food. Simple, fast, and easy. I will try your recipe out. Can’t wait. My kids will love it much.

42. Lisa February 24, 2018 at 11:10 am #

Made this last night and it’s the best seitan I have ever had, even my husband loves this. This is truly an amazing recipes and you won’t be disappointed -thanks for sharing this recipes

43. Jen February 26, 2018 at 3:25 am #

I made this and it was the best seitan I’ve ever made. Seitan is something I rarely get right. Or pancakes. Or rice. Anyway. I used every appliance and dirtied every dish in my house to make this and it was totally worth it. Made tacos with it one night which were really good and another night made Vegan Richa’s butter chickn in the IP. It was incredible. The seitan was so tender- like I remember well prepared meat to be. My very picky omni partner was really impressed. These two recipes were made for each other and everyone should make them, especially if they can get someone else to do the dishes. Thank you!

44. Sharon February 28, 2018 at 9:14 am #

I can’t thank you enough for this outstanding recipe. It was the first thing I’ve made in my new pressure cooker – which I had put off because of intimidation…Your video and recipe made it seem “do-able” and I made my first batch last night. I tried some once it cooked and cooled off a bit and thought it was good. This morning I sampled a piece that had chilled overnight in the fridge and was ASTOUNDED at how “chicken like” the texture had become! It’s thrilling to be able to create something that will meet my cruelty-free goals and satisfy my omni husband’s taste buds. He has already requested I make a chickwheat salad so he can make sandwich. I’ll be treading further into the world of seitan recipes now with confidence thanks to you!

45. Janet March 2, 2018 at 4:41 am #

Can this be made without the oil? My way of eating is oil-free?

• avocadosandales March 2, 2018 at 4:51 am #

Yes, just sub extra liquid or tahini

• thecleanvegans March 2, 2018 at 6:27 am #

I’ve made it without oil and it was delish. See my results at

46. Mary Ann March 9, 2018 at 6:54 am #

Is there an acceptable substitute for vital wheat gluten? I can’t eat gluten

• avocadosandales March 9, 2018 at 7:02 am #

Unfortunately no, there’s no substitute that functions the same as vital wheat gluten at this time. Hopefully there will be something in development soon!

47. Rebekah Williams March 13, 2018 at 1:16 pm #

This is currently in my instapot as I type! I used small white beans instead of chic peas due to poor planning and lack of access to chic peas. Hoping it still turns out well! Have you tried with beans other than chic?

• avocadosandales March 13, 2018 at 12:22 pm #

I haven’t, but others have and they work well!

• Carolyn Blakeney March 13, 2018 at 7:06 pm #

Back in the stone age (i.e., about ten years ago) white beans were what the bloggers were using for seitan loaves and sausages, and what I used when following their recipes. They work great! Even pintos if that’s all you had- the idea was to use a relatively mild bean base.

1. Revet seitan “kylling” – Veganer på budget - February 4, 2018

[…] Opskriften er inspireret, af “chickwheat” fra Avocados and Ales. […]

2. chickwheat! | Monica's Paradijs - February 20, 2018

[…] maakte vegan kipstuckjes, ‘chickwheat’ naar het recept van avocadosandales. Het was goed gelukt en erg lekker! Ik weekte een heleboel kikkererwten en we aten ze in allerlei […]

3. Instant Pot Meal Prep: Healthy Lunches for a Week - Cooking By Laptop - March 8, 2018

[…] Again, here your choices are many. Sautéed tofu, seitan (this recipe for chickwheat shreds is my current fave), chopped up veggie burgers, vegan sausages or other alternative meats are all […]