Even though I made this 7 hours ago, I can still smell it when I walk in the door. This is a recipe that will make anyone who enters your home ask, “What smells so good?” It’s so simple it barely even needs a recipe and easily veganized.
- 6 medium yellow onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet vermouth or white wine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- crusty bread
- Daiya cheese (or vegan cheese of choice.
1. Slice onions into thin half moon slices.
2. Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over medium heat. Saute onions uncovered for about 10 minutes until softened and sweating.
3. Lower heat and cover, about 30 minutes. When onions begin to caramelize, add brown sugar and continue to caramelize for 10 minutes.
5. Add vermouth, vegetable broth, and spices. Cook another 15 to combine flavors.
6. Ladle into overproof bowl, top with torn french bread and Daiya (or vegan cheese of choice)