Advertisements

24 Aug

If you don’t know, I’m pretty excited about this. Every vegan I’ve ever met in real life has said the hardest thing to give up was cheese and every non vegan has told me that they would never be able to give up cheese. Fortunately, due to amazing chefs like Miyoko Schinner, Jay Astafa, Somer McGowan, and Skye Michael Conroy, we are able to enjoy cheese-like products, without the cruelty. I’ve made several forays into the world of vegan cheese and learned a lot of different techniques from many different recipes. The particular recipe that I drew inspiration from for this is the cashew mozzarella developed by Jay Astafa. You can watch the YouTube video here. I noticed he uses soy lecithin as an emulsifier, which aquafaba has been shown to do in recipes like Nina’s butter and Peanut Butter and Vegan’s mayo. This inspired me to make this cashew mozzarella using aquafaba as the emulsifier. It also makes this recipe soy free, conveniently, for those who are intolerant.

Vegan cheese doesn’t create casein protein strands like dairy cheeses do, which is why we use tapioca starch to create that stretchy texture. Some places may have it labeled at tapioca flour, but they should be interchangeable. I find mine at an international market for a cheaper price. You can also add a bit of xantham gum to increase the stretchiness. If you don’t have any, feel free to omit it, the cheese will still be delicious! I use vegan lactic acid powder to create that dairy-like tang in this recipe. It’s definitely worth the purchase, but if you cannot buy it, substitute a tablespoon of lemon juice instead. Nutritional yeast also adds to this cheesy flavor. Refined coconut oil helps with firmness upon refrigeration and improves the mouthfeel and melt. Cashews can possibly be subbed for raw sunflower seeds for those with allergies.

Most vegan cheeses use either agar or kappa carrageenan as a binder to be sliceable and shreddable. I choose to use kappa carrageenan, as I prefer the melt and mouthfeel it imparts. I am well aware that many people choose not to consume it and I completely respect that; this recipe may be possible with agar powder, but I have not tested it. If you do test it, please contact me with your results!

Edited to add: Several people have tried with equal amounts of agar and have had a hard time getting it to set. I would suggest doubling the amount of agar powder (use 1 tablespoon and 1 tsp). Xanthan gum will not replace the carrageenan, it’s not a firm binder like carrageenan is, just a thickener.

Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese | Avocados and Ales
image

If you like this recipe, be sure to check out these other vegan cheese recipes:
Meltable Soy-based Mozzarella
Soy/Cashew Buffalo Mozzarella
Smoked Coconut Gouda
Almond Milk Pepperjack
Vegan Mozzarella
Moxarella

The Vegan Meringue group on Facebook is a great place for more aquafaba recipes as well.

DSC_2514

Ingredients:
• 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 15 minutes
• 1 cup aquafaba (preferably chickpea or other light colored bean)
• 2 tbsp tapioca starch
• 2 tsp kappa carrageenan
• 1 tsp lactic acid**
• 1 tsp nutritional yeast
• 3/4 tsp salt*
• 6 tbsp refined coconut oil, liquid

*You may need to adjust the salt level a bit lower if using salted aquafaba.
**You can substitute with 1 tbsp lemon juice, but the lactic acid tastes better

Directions:
1. Blend softened cashews and aquafaba in a high speed blender until as smooth as possibly. Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove any large particles and return to blender.
Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese
It should be very smooth after blending.
Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese
You may find there are still a few cashew particles if you’re using a lower quality blender or food processor, which is why I recommend straining.
Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese

2. Add tapioca starch, carrageenan, lactic acid, nutritional yeast, and salt and pulse in a blender to combine. *Please ignore the xanthan gum in this picture. It is not part of the recipe, but I used it in an early test, which is where this picture is from.
image

3. Add coconut oil and blend again very briefly. Mixture will be smooth and a little thick.
Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese

4. Heat in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat while stirring regularly. It will look like quite lumpy as the tapioca starch activates.
Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese
It will eventually turn glossy and smooth, like melted cheese. When it reaches 170°F, it is done. You will see it begin to bubble around the edges and maintain its thickness.

Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese

5. Pour into a mold, or scoop balls into ice water for buffalo style mozzarella. Refrigerate for a few hours to fully firm up the cheese before slicing or grating.
imageMozzarella Aquafaba Cheese | Avocados and AlesMozzarella Aquafaba Cheese

Obviously, the best uses of any cheese are either on pizza or fried into mozzarella sticks.

Advertisements

214 Responses to “Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese”

1. slojure December 20, 2016 at 11:59 pm #

Can I use irish moss instead of kappa carrageenan or agar agar flakes? How much agar flakes to use? Is it possible to make meltable cheese with agar?

• avocadosandales December 21, 2016 at 3:53 am #

I have no experience with Irish moss. Some people have had success with agar agar, but I have yet to make it work. The recipe really is best with kappa carrageenan

2. paintingemily January 22, 2017 at 10:28 pm #

Omg, this recipe… Thank you thank you thank you! This is the best mozzarella faux cheese recipe ever (and I tried three others yesterday). The texture is perfect and melts so wonderfully. I’m incredibly impressed and glad I found this recipe!

3. Peg Schaefer February 23, 2017 at 3:19 pm #

I’m a late comer to the vegan cheese making world but wanted to know if you had ever brined this the way Jay Astafa does his? Thanks so much for such inspiration!

4. Barbara March 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm #

Hello! Thank you so much for this recipe! I just made it and I messed it up a bit, so I have some questions.

I forgot to blend the ingredients before I added the coconut oil, so I blended them all at the same time, and I didn’t melt the coconut oil (oops). Everything seemed to turn out ok consistency wise…but…my cheese REALLY smells like coconut oil. Is it supposed to? I also had a lot of liquid coconut oil around the thickening cheese in the pan, so I poured a bunch off.

OK…what happened…I’m going to make another batch the right way tomorrow, but I’d like to eliminate the coconut smell (I used 365 unrefined coconut oil from whole foods). Thanks !!

• avocadosandales March 23, 2017 at 5:21 pm #

Hi Barbara, the recipe specifically calls for refined coconut oil because of the coconut flavor in unrefined. If your cheese separated it means it was heated too quickly. Try a lower, slower heat next time.

• keryn wolff March 23, 2017 at 7:31 pm #

I see you have an answer already but my answer would be the same: use the unflavoured refined coconut oil instead would be my tip. also stir like mad when its on the stove and dont have the heat cranked up too high. I hope this helps 🙂
      Try again, after you have made it a few times youll be doing it blindfolded 🙂

5. Hope April 6, 2017 at 12:23 pm #

Hi. New to veganism and hoping to give this mozzarella a try, but I’m getting increasingly confused over ‘coconut oil’. Need advice! I have a square sided glass bottle from Asda in the UK, of 250ml of clear liquid labelled “Flavour Free Coconut Oil. Perfect for frying, baking and roasting”. Can I use this product to make your mozzarella?

• keryn wolff April 6, 2017 at 7:30 pm #

yes. the point of the refined oil is so that it does not make your final product taste like coconut so using a flavour free version would be suitable (imo)

• avocadosandales April 6, 2017 at 7:33 pm #

Yes, as Keryn said, this oil should work great!

6. Jenjen April 6, 2017 at 7:10 pm #

Do you think replacing the nuts with chickpeas would work ? My partner is allergic to all nuts sunflower and pumpkin seeds plus pinenuts . Making vegan cooking very challenging , but not impossible . Love your recipes and thankyou for sharing… Jenjen

• keryn wolff April 6, 2017 at 8:32 pm #

you should try it. It can never hurt to try. Then come back and let us know your outcome 🙂

7. Jill McAnally April 10, 2017 at 7:22 pm #

Anyone know the nutrition value in this..grams of protein etc?

8. Andy April 11, 2017 at 12:35 pm #

Hey just wanted to say that this is the closest damn thing I’ve made to real cheese! I always found lemon made things taste just that…lemony. My only problem was that I used liquid lactic acid and I think it made a difference because mine is ever so tart. I’ll reduce it next time. Otherwise, wow. I’m so happy. Thank you for sharing!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Homemade Vegan Mozzarella – Sarah's Vegan Kitchen - March 28, 2017

[…] final recipe comes from the Avocados and Ales blog and utilizes the sorcery of aquafaba — the liquid from cooked chickpeas. This recipe […]

2. 7 Ways to Use Aquafaba » Vegan Food Lover - April 7, 2017

[…] Get the recipe here. […]

3. Aquafaba Recipes from Macarons to Mayo | VeganFoodHacks - April 20, 2017

[…] Avocados and Ales’ sliceable Mozzarella Aquafaba Cheese seems to be the go-to recipe in the vegan space. It even […]