I promise this tastes better than it looks.
With that said, this is my go-to soup recipe. I love thick hearty soups as the weather cools down, so I tend to overfill my soups with vegetables and pasta. Feel free to reduce any amounts here if you prefer something a little lighter.
• 1 medium yellow onion, sliced in half moons
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 3 cloves minced garlic
• 1 cup sliced carrot
• 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juices
• 1 russet potato, diced
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 8 cups vegetable broth
• 1 1/2 cups dry brown lentils
• 1/2 cup orzo pasta
• 1 tbsp basil and parsley, or 3 tbsp fresh
• 1 tbsp tomato paste
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onions in olive oil over low heat for 20 minutes until very soft and starting to brown. Add carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, basil, and parsley and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Stir in vegetable broth, lentils, peas, and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes and lentils are fully cooked.
3. Add orzo and continue to simmer until orzo is fully cooked. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.