When we visit my husband’s family, we often go out to dinner at a restaurant called Greek Islands. One of my favorite sides there is the spanakorizo, which translates to spinach rice. This can be made with or without the tomatoes, either way is delicious.
This dish is much better with fresh dill; use it if you have it. My dill plant didn’t last the summer, unfortunately. We like to serve this with a squeeze of lemon, a little olive oil, and some fresh pita bread.
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 yellow onion, diced
• 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
• 2 tbsp tomato paste
• 1 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, or 10 ounces fresh
• 1 bunch green onions, diced into 1 cm lengths
• 3/4 cup brown rice
• 1 tbsp dill
• 1 tsp oregano
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and onions for 2 minutes. Add brown rice, tomato paste, and water and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in spinach and green onions and lower to a simmer. Cover until rice is fully cooked and water is absorbed, around 30-40 minutes.
3. Season with dill, oregano, and salt.