When Ken and I first started dating, we took a trip to a blueberry farm in Illinois. We spent hours picking (and mostly eating) berries, until I got tired and lost our group. I ended up trying to call him multiple times from a stranger’s cell phone and surprisingly there’s very little cell reception on a blueberry farm in the middle of nowhere. After waiting awkwardly on a bench for an hour, we finally found each other, and we left that farm with a cooler full of blueberries. Most were frozen and eventually made their way into loaves of banana bread, but some turned into these excellent muffins.
I made a huge batch of these to freeze before having my baby, so feel free to do the same. You can even substitute chocolate chips for the blueberries and pretend like it’s a healthy breakfast. I promise not to tell.
• 1 ½ cups white flour
• ½ cup white sugar
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp salt
• 1/3 cup vanilla alternative milk
• 1/3 cup vegetable/canola oil
• 1 mashed banana
• 1 cup frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix together dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour in wet ingredients. Stir well to combine.
2. Add blueberries and pour into a greased or lined muffin tin.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.