In my post about peanut butter and jelly macarons I talked about “breakfast pizza” that was often served in my high school cafeteria. It still holds a special place in my stomach and I always enjoy the challenge of veganizing an old favorite.
For Sausage Gravy:
• 2 cups unsweetened soymilk
• 1/4 cup flour
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 4 ounces favorite vegan sausage, or homemade
• 1 tsp fennel, crushed
• 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
• 12 ounces soft tofu, pressed and sliced very thin
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp black salt (Kala Namak)
• 2 tbsp oil
• 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 4 ounces vegan cheese, shredded
• sautéed veggies, like mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc
• vegan ham seitan (optional)
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and saute sausage until browned. Toss in flour and cook for a minute or two, then slowly pour in soymilk while stirring. Season with fennel and black pepper and heat for a few more minutes, then set aside.
2. Clean pan and return to heat. Add oil and tofu. Stir gently to break up, then season with turmeric, nutritional yeast, and black salt. Set aside.
3. Saute veggies and ham in a little oil, then set aside.
4. Spread your pizza dough in a large sheet pan that has been oiled and floured. Top with sausage gravy, shredded cheese, then veggies and tofu.
5. Let dough proof for 30 minutes while oven preheats to 475°F.