Football on Sundays is a tradition in my house. I usually serve nachos, but some weeks I want something different. We love spicy foods and finger foods:buffalo wings are an easy answer. Obviously we don’t eat wings, but seitan is an easy substitute. I’d love to try wrapping the seitan around skewers so you get the “handle” for eating. Something like this from Meet the Shannons would work great.
I was curious as to why they are called buffalo wings, and Wikipedia gave me this answer “One of the more prevalent claims is that Buffalo wings were first prepared at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, by Teressa Bellissimo.” One more question I will no longer have to wonder about.
(Hopefully you think ahead before you make these and don’t run out of hot sauce like I did.)
• 1/2 batch white seitan, sliced
• 1/2 cup hot sauce (Frank’s or Louisiana)
• 1/4 cup Earth Balance Butter
• 1/2 tsp paprika
1. Heat earth balance over medium heat in a cast iron skillet. Add seitan and cook for another 8 minutes, or until slightly crispy. Smother in hot sauce and serve warm with ranch.
• 1/4 cup vegan mayo
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder and onion powder
• 1-2 tbsp white vinegar
• 1 tsp parsley, finely chopped
Stir ingredients together in a small bowl, whisking in vinegar until it’s a ranch consistency. Add water if still too thick.