We’ve been watching a lot of Parks and Recreation lately and there’s a lot of talk about calzones. Personally, I was never a huge fan of calzones. I think this picture sums it up.
I may have changed my mind after last night. These were delicious and VERY filling. Try drinking a brown ale with these-since it’s autumn, I’d suggest Sierra Nevada’s Tumbler.
- 1 batch of pizza dough with 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp basil, 1 tsp italian seasoning added
- Tofu ricotta-recipe below
- Marinara sauce-homemade or jarred
- Toppings-veggies, vegan meats, vegan cheese, minced garlic, fresh basil, etc.
- 1 cup unsweetened soy yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine yogurt with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, starch, and salt. Heat in a small saucepan over medium heat until starch activates and makes a stretchy cheese sauce.
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Cut dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out with a rolling pin into a circular shape. Stretch edges and top 1/2 of dough with cheese saucd, leaving space around the edge to braid dough together. Place toppings on the sauce. You can use pretty much anything, but if you’re using a vegan meat, cook it beforehand.Fold untopped half onto toppings. Braid bottom and top layer of dough together. Cut three holes in top to vent.
- Repeat with other 3 dough portions. Cook in oven for about 20 minutes until dough is golden brown. Serve with extra sauce on the side.