Our local farmers market runs on Wednesdays and Saturdays and I like to take my daughter with and pick out a few vegetables for meals during the week. Last week we found this pretty purple and white striped eggplants.
Tonight I wanted to combine the remaining eggplant and my favorite cheese recipe, from here.
It’s not quite eggplant parmesan, but you could easily fry these during the saute step! I served them with fettucine, but angel hair or capellini would be equally as beautiful here.
• 1 medium eggplant, sliced into rounds
• 1-2 tbsp salt
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/2 batch aquafaba cheese, or 6 ounces favorite vegan cheese
• basil leaves
• 24 ounces marinara sauce
• 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
• 8 ounces fettuccine pasta, boiled and drained
1. Slice eggplant into rounds and salt liberally. Let sweat for 30 minutes to release bitterness.
2. Pat dry and saute eggplant in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until soft and slightly translucent.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. When 20 minutes have elapsed, prepare fettuccine pasta according to package directions.