I’m often inspired by the ingredients in my fridge or freezer to make easy weeknight dinners like this. To be more accurate, I’m more often inspired by the LACK of ingredients, so I throw something together like this.
Casseroles are not common in our weekly menu, but I really enjoy recipes like this that are one pan-dishes. The less dishes I have to do the more time I get to spend with my family, and that’s always a win.
You can use any vegan cheese sauce you prefer for this recipe. I am particularly partial to the carrot-potato cheese sauce, but hey, that’s just me. You could also sub the quinoa for rice or noodles. For some reason I always forget about quinoa in the back of my pantry, but it’s delicious and good for you, so I probably should remember it more often.
- 12 ounces vegan ham tube or ham seitan
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin semi circles
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 cups favorite vegan cheese sauce
1. Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet and sauté onions on low for about 20 minutes until browned and caramelized, adding water as needed. Add ham and zucchini and sauté for an additional 5 minutes on medium until zucchini is softened.
2. Add quinoa and carrots, then pour cheese sauce over top. Stir thoroughly
3. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until edges are browning and bubbly.
4. Serve with a brown ale, like Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale.